View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 09:33 AM
DogHouseMom

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
Coats and Clark 30wt
Connecting Threads 50wt
Aurifil 50wt.

The whole point of this little guessing game is because I bought several spools of the Coats and Clark cotton quilting thread on a great sale, not realizing it was 30wt. I figured I'd never use it because it is, at 30wt, generally considered too heavy to use for piecing. I have been using Aurifil so of course the difference was huge! I decided to try some Connecting Threads brand thread because it gets pretty consistent positive reviews so I bought their Salt and Pepper collection. I was truly surprised to see that it is practically the same size at 50wt as the Coats and Clark 30wt thread.

Now, here is where I am getting really confused: Aurifil at 2ply is considered 50wt and Connecting Threads at 3 ply is considered 50wt, so why are both threads not the same size?

DogHouseMom - I probably do need to tweak the tension on the machine. I was using it for another project using heavier fabric than the sample and the picture was taken using the super macro setting on my camera so any flaw will be revealed.
Woo hoo! Exactly as I guessed.

The "50wt" indication means that it will take 50 kilometers of thread to weigh 1 kilogram. So a thinner thread that is 50wt is denser (and heavier) than a 50wt thin thread. This is regardless of the number of ply.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...-measurements/

As for that 30wt you accidentally picked up ... use it to quilt with!!