View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 10:07 AM
MaryKatherine

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Thanks for the close ups!! Spectacular!!!

A few more questions ...

Picture #3 - I'm guessing that most of the needles on the branches was done with a zig zag stitch and feed dogs dropped perhaps??

Picture #4 - these needles look a little different than the needles in pic #3. Free motion??

Thanks also for the explanation that you use a canvas back before you thread paint. I have a project that I need to thread paint and I've been wondering what to use as a stabilizer on the back. Canvas sounds perfect!!!
Thanks for the questions!
I DO use zigzag but rarely for the evergreens. I find it needs to be adjusted too often. Most of it is just twitch muscles moving the material in the direction I want. I can set the speed of my machine and forget it. Unlike a lot of instructions for free motion work I seldom use my whole arm. I rest my wrists and use my fingers to move the fabric. Yea you need to readjust often but I find it less tiring. The zigzag stitching was used as a final anchor on the really exposed edges like along the path and anywhere the colour difference is so great loose edges show up to much. I strangely I use a slight zigzag when I do the smooth edged deciduous leaves. It makes them less regular and to me more realistic.
Have fun. There are several non woven materials that you can use as well. Just a word of caution. STEAM your canvas well and shrink it. This will tighten it. And every once in a while re-steam what you've done and stretch out the gathers.
MK