View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Sandy1951

Originally Posted by k3n
I'm planning a new sewing room too, in our attic so I have the same issues with sloping ceilings etc. So I'm following along and getting some good tips from everyone here! :-D

Something that I'd like, as well as the 'flow' that Mad mentions, is some kind of L-shaped arrangement to the left of where I sit at my machine, so that when I'm putting on a border, quilting or binding a large quilt, it can carry the weight of it. Ideally I'd like this to slide in and out from under the desk but then come up so it's on the same level. My DH LOVES these little challenges I set him! :mrgreen:

I'd thought of putting my main desk along the wall under the eaves - mine start at around 3' from the floor, but making it double worktop width, ie 4' so that large quilts will have plenty of room to back up. I figure this is dead space anyway because of the head banging thing! I saw on Leah Day's website that she recommends this space behind your machine when quilting rather than an open backed desk where the quilt goes over onto the floor.

Sorry to be so long-winded - brevity is not my strong suit!
I don't even know what brevity is when it comes to posting. :mrgreen:

I was going to put my sewing area in the open part of the room, but I like your idea of putting the sewing work area with a double worktop width bumped up to the eaves so large quilts will have plenty of room to back up, but won't go on the floor. My slanted eaves start at about three feet from the floor, too. I was going to put my cedar chest there and possibly some bookshelves, but it might be wiser to do what you're suggesting. There should still be enough wall space for my cedar chest. That would put my southern window to my left. Then I can put my cutting table in the open with plenty of space around it. Hmmm...might work well.

Thanks for the idea! :-D