Old 01-16-2014, 12:27 PM
vmaniqui

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
We have a Singer Troll in our area too - he's been selling for 50-60 years, and he's more of a hoarder than anything. Shop is full of really neat old Singers and attachments and NOTHING has a price on it. He won't even quote a price, and if you offer something, he smirks and says it's worth way more than that. He's past retirement age, so I guess he plans on having things until he's dead, and then they can sell for cheap, or more lkely end up in the dump since there is little market for them locally.

My husband hates going in there now, because they guy wants DH to buy his business. Not like we'd ever do that - and of course, he wants it for a price that would take all the profit out of it for the next 20 years.

He also tried to talk my husband into buying a Pfaff with a broken part -saying that since DH fixes them, he could find the part and replace it cheap. At least DH knew about that machine, and that the part is unavailable and is broke in almost all of that style machine - so it's not really worth anything - and no where near what the guy was asking.

But we also know if he could have fixed it affordably, he would have. I don't think they guy is really making any money at the shop now days, but don't think he needs to either, it's just a place he can spend his days surrounded by things he loves, and occasionally talk to a customer who walks in the door.

Every time we drive by, I look to see if there is a "going out of business" sign on the door. If he actually does start to want to sell things, I want to be at the front of the line!
i know. maybe this guy is like your guy too. wanted to buy something but would't let me. but i might swing by once in a while and befriend him and see how it goes. as i am thinking that i could gain more if ever. he got so many vintage sewing machines that i am eyeing. and maybe he will sell me the FW body that he has for donor parts. that FW body is is so clean. BTW, he got some Tri-flow also and he got the cheapest price on parts than any stores i've been too (like belts, lubricants, oil) even at eBay.