Thread: Funeral quilt
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 07:37 AM
tessagin
Power Poster

This brings back memories for me. During my time as a hairdresser, I also worked part time at a funeral home and did the hair and make-up. In one particular instance, I met with some family members who had a photo of their mother. They brought a young girl about 10 years old. She made a pillow for her grandmother to rest her head on. I asked the family members if they wanted a few private moments with her before the viewing. She had already been dressed and just finished with her hair. They were very happy. The funeral director placed the pillow underneath her head. The little one said "Now that's my grandma. She always like my pillow cuz she said she always had sweet dreams". She can have sweet dreams from now on. I think the ribbon quilt is a beautiful idea. Whatever works to help one get through the mourning process. Some believe gestures like that to be morbid, some believe them to be beautiful. I like the beautiful beliefs. Anything that delicate would/should be gently washed by hand.