Old 01-20-2014, 11:00 PM
incoming2me

Default Time to re-think the place I love the most in the house...

Over the years I've posted pictures my sewing room in various stages of "Perfect" (at the time) to complete and utter disarray. Although I rarely post these days, the daily digest is still my mid-morning ritual. I feel the need to post because I'm really needing help.

Although everything in the sewing room is seemingly put away.. all I see is clutter and it is driving me insane.
I find the space uninspiring and honestly, I don't enjoy being in there much. In fact, it's been almost two months since I've worked on anything other than sewing patches on Girl Scout uniforms.

There are two rolling stainless steel cabinets in the foyer that are full of fabric. More fabric is stored under the tables. My big board ironing board is put away next to the rolling cabinets in the foyer. I have a cutting station and GO! cutting station... and my sewing table. The gate-leg table is usually folded down and out of the way. Although not seen in the picture, to the left side as you look from the sewing room into the dining room is another sewing table with my Viking Rose machine inset. My Viking Ruby is on the main table.. I need to either figure out how to turn that table into a "recessed" sewing table or step back and punt. The table is from Ikea but it's hollow core - very unlikely that it would support that machine if compromised by cutting the top. Not to mention making it so that I can remove it from the inset to use the embroidery unit. ugh. Does anyone else have that problem? I have a Sew Steady for it, but the height is wrong and my arms, shoulders and neck ache from the position. I have the chair raised fully. Much higher and my legs will touch the bottom of the table!

Back to the clutter.. it is pretty much all in boxes with lids or drawers but it still looks cluttered to me. And that pegboard! Ugh! One of my friends came in the other day and said it looks like a store.
I've now taken everything down off the pegboard except the rulers and a few other items. I'm thinking of cutting the pegboard and using only a smaller portion... Maybe framing it and mounting it to the wall instead of hanging from the picture rail. I've labeled the contents of the boxes on index cards and inserted them into the front ends of the boxes to hide the contents somewhat, but it really hasn't helped.

Take a look and see that you think. With the exception of finding a new table for my machine, I don't want to buy any other furniture. In-between the GO! cutting station, next to the purple chair and the gate-leg table, is an old Singer 714 student machine from the early 70s. I am donating it to the church for our upcoming spring bazaar... so that will be out of the room soon. (Not soon enough!)

So, if I've not put you to sleep with my mini-novel of woes.. I'm needing ideas because at this point I'm stuck. I love the sewing rooms that have a theme and feel inviting. (..think Karen and her blog - Sew Many Ways!) I'm having a hard time seeing something like that in my space.
Attached Thumbnails 2014-sewing-room.jpg  

Last edited by incoming2me; 01-20-2014 at 11:07 PM.