View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Jim's Gem

Default 4 Home of the Brave type quilts I made

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458160[/ATTACH]My son is in the Navy serving as a rescue swimmer/door gunner in a helicopter squadron. While they were deployed this summer in the Red Sea one of their helicopters were taken down by a rogue wave. The two pilots still in the cock pit went down with the bird. It was a very stressful time, not knowing if our son was one of the crew members. Before we even found out who the two men were that were killed I decided I wanted to be involved in making quilts for the families thru Home of the Brave. Both of the pilots had 2 small children. The youngest was only 2 months old at the time and had never met his dad. There was also a 4 year old and two 6 year old's. I decided that I wanted to make quilts for the kids. I needed to. These men were my son's Officer In Charge and his Division Officer, he really looked up to them.
I decided not to use the typical Home of the Brave pattern in favor of something that would look good with fabrics that kids would like.
I presented these quilts along with the 2 Home of the Brave quilts to the widow's at the Memorial Service that took place on the flight deck of the Midway on Friday.
It just so happened that the few days before I presented them, Sam Hunter, the designer of the Mouse Trap pattern that I used was the speaker at our guild. She took pictures of them and honors me in her blog
http://huntersdesignstudio.com/2014/01/22/honored/

Also shown is one of the 4 labels that I made
Attached Thumbnails 031-3-.jpg   035-2-.jpg   039-2-.jpg   025-3-.jpg   028.jpg  

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Last edited by Jim's Gem; 01-22-2014 at 10:13 PM.