Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Think of a LA as a car. Many brands are reliable but what is best is a very personal opinion. As Dunster said, what is best for me may not be best for you. I would classify the Viking as a starter machine for some people. Me, I also decided an Innova was the right machine for me and I didn't want to have to upgrade down the road. You need to learn everything you can about these machines and research racks too. Decide what features you find you can not sacrifice and what features you can. Then you need to set a budget, how much are you willing to spend for these features.

For me it was stitch regulator. The Cruise control is a low end stitch regulator. I wanted an industrial grade machine because I wanted to be able to quilt for others. I didn't want to spend several thousand dollars only to find I wanted more machine a year or two down the road.

There are so many factors to consider. Most people research for about a year before making the final plunge. Why is your friend looking to get rid of hers? Did she think LA quilting was going to be easier than it is? Is the machine causing her too much aggravation? Is it too difficult to load a quilt on the type of rack she has? Is it too small? Keep in mind the reasons she has for getting rid of it, may also come home to roost for you as well.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 01-23-2014 at 09:42 AM.