Old 01-25-2014, 06:21 AM
Judi in Ohio

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I have been working on DGD#2's quilt for what seems like forever. It has caused me more grief and frustration than any other single thing I have ever sewn (and I have been sewing for almost half a century!) I kept the machine quilting to a minimum--just shadow stitching around each picture and sashing. I noticed that one side border seemed to be a bit 'stretched'. When I tried to put on the binding, yep, that side went all pleated and wonky. After several tries, I was ready to either throw it into the UFO bin (NOT an option. This thing has cost me waaay too much time and money and DGD loves it already) or clench my teeth and start taking out the quilting and replace the border.

BUT....as a last resort, I decided to try something from my clothing sewing days, and sewed a couple of gathering lines on the ^&*$!#^% border. I then eased it, like you would ease a set-in sleeve, and sewed on the binding, holding my breath all the way. And it worked! It WORKED!!! The excess fabric is not noticeable--the offending border doesn't even look 'puffier' than the others.

DGD's quilt is F I N I S H E D!! And I am ready to pour myself a nice long congratulatory drink. 'Necessity definitely IS the mother of Invention'
Congrats on powering thru. Sometimes the mistakes will drive you nuts. I'm putting a quilt together and making the same mistake, time and time again. Rip a block, sew a block, oops, rip, sew, until I finally figured it out!!! From my embroidery I know there are no mistakes, just creative opportunities. You got very creative. Congratulations.