View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Annaquilts
Power Poster

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I sort all fabric by either color or category like sea life, floral, Civil War or 1930. I also have bins with very small scraps mostly for paper piecing or applique. all those are by color. Then when I make a quilt I pull bins that fit my plan and then I cut. I do not think I could handle precutting everything if I have no plan or use for it yet. At times I also "kit" up scraps and a pattern and I collect till I have enough to do that pattern. so those are my home made kits. I really enjoy that process. Almost always I make scrap quilts. It is the fun part of quilting. I do make mostly controlled/planned scrappies.

quote-Each year I set a goal for my quilting and I almost always make it.

Wow! Maybe I should try and do one block a day. You just motivated me. I never meet my goal and in the meantime the scraps are reproducing.

One of the items I like to use to cut up scraps is a shape cutter. I have a friend with a Go and she offered the use of it to me so I might try that out too. I was impressed with the accuracy but due to the cost I am not in the market for it right now. It also seemed like that would be a little more waste. I think I like to use it on all this older fabric that didn't cost me as much.

Originally Posted by cindynvb View Post
Anna I'm working on a split 16 patch. Totally random, just half light and half dark. I'm using 2.5 in patches and have a few more quilts in mind using those same patches, so am cutting up lots.

My goal for the year is to make 1 block a day using scraps. Of course I prefer to sew units, then put the blocks together so I don't actually finish one block a day, but I do get 7 or more a week... So far that is, the year is young and you know what they say about New Year's resolutions....

But I think I can keep it up. Each year I set a goal for my quilting and I almost always make it. I love to quilt!! That makes it easier.
What kind of quilts do you make Anna, Any hints on cutting and using scraps?