Thread: FMQ questions
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 11:12 AM
MartiMorga

I took a FMQ class at the Paducah Quilt Show last year and we were told to make various shapes over and over. Like cursive c continuing across the top down the side across the bottom up the side. When I say this I mean that the c is staying straight up and down and not turning the material. Others were the L, small e, writing our name. She basically was telling us that we needed to practice uniform shape and sizes and getting our motion in time with our machine. I have practiced and practiced, but not as often as I should. I did a baby quilt of spirals and felt that the last 1/2 was better the first. I practiced on a sandwich every time before starting on the quilt. I did loops around the borders. By the end I was feeling more confident. Wish I had purchased the gloves to keep my movements uniform. Also, I have my machine on one of those folding tables (white bought at Sam's) up against my L sewing area, it fits into the L shape, gave me room next to and behind to hold quilt. Have fun

Forgot to mention, you should not stop to reposition your hands or any other reason until you get to a logical place - for instance, the point of the c, before you start to go down, where the L crosses to start the next L. And stop often enough to relax your shoulders and arms. Keep tension at bay.

Last edited by MartiMorga; 01-26-2014 at 11:17 AM.