Old 01-27-2014, 10:02 AM
clem55

we went 10 days without power, but stayed home. We were lucky to have gas logs in our fireplace, so we dressed warm, and sat close to the heat. A jar of instant coffee , water and soup were heated over the logs, sandwiches , crackers tuna etc. Actually, it was sort of fun for awhile. We would read, play cards and talk! I had a battery light that let me read after dark, but hubs would just go to bed. Lots of blankets piled on the bed to keep us warm . We had children that lived within three miles of us , they had power and kept wanting us to stay with them, but being old and contrary, we just stayed home. lol It reminded me of being young and staying at my grandma's farm. She only had fireplace heat or the potbelly stove in her kitchen, cooking was done on a kerosene stove. We would sit before the stove , stayed very warm on one side, and when it was time to sleep, a fast run into the bedroom and jumping into a featherbed and covering with a featherbed kept us nice and warm. One of my favorrite memories of the ice storm was a neighbors tree. It was an old weeping willow and the wind had swirled the branches around and the freezing rain was holding them in the circle it formed. It made a perfect circle and was beautiful. Not so pretty were all the tree branches that were breaking and falling. Seeing everything covered with ice in the sunshine, beautiful.