View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Debd

Default It only took a year!

I promised my son a quilt for graduating from college, so of course I start it just before he graduates and finish it a year later. In my defense there was a hiatus from quilting while I removed the old heating system from the house and replaced all the flooring over the summer. At least it is still cold outside and he now has a quilt to snuggle under.

It was a fairly simply pattern that he asked look "scrappy" and he liked the batik fabrics. So off I go and order 35 or so fat quarters of batiks! Then I get to cut and match them with out duplication, which only took 2 large tables and a glass of wine, but I think I pretty well succeeded. The quilt went together quickly, and I had the top sandwiched before the flooring project.

To make it a special quilt, I decided to quilt the top with motifs of the natural things my son had encountered on the way to his Master's Degree. There are 80 or so squares on the quilt and most of them are different. He also had several jobs along the way identifying bugs in streams, so there are a few of those on the quilt as well. Also, when he was a freshman his belongings were infested with little rubber ducks, and one of them slipped onto the quilt as well. Invasive little buggers!

I'm crossing my fingers I can get this posted in just a uploads, so please be patient with me!
Attached Thumbnails qb1.jpg   qb-ash.jpg   qb-bell-flower.jpg   qb-blood-root.jpg   qb-bug.jpg  

qb-burr-oak.jpg   qb-cedar.jpg   qb-choke-cherry.jpg   qb-crab.jpg   qb-curve-grass.jpg