Thread: Thread Color?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 06:18 AM
Barb in Louisiana

I use solid color fabrics for a lot of my quilt backs. Using a contrasting thread or threads creates a quilted back that can be just stunning, especially after it's washed and starts a little crinkling. I do have a long arm and mostly do pantographs because I am not good at all with free motion. I like a heavyweight thread that will show up. Often the thread color will blend into the pieced top because I want the piecing to be the center of attention on the front, and the thread color will pop on the solid color fabric back. Okay....I am a little showy! I love brights and contrasts. As anyone will tell you....quilting is all about personal choice.

FYI...because my long arm is old and capable of some tension problems, I always use the same color thread on the top and bottom. You don't notice the stitch issues as much with the same color.

I've attached a back that I did with a Hearts pantograph. If you looked at it closely, you would see all kinds of mistakes in my following the pantograph, but everyone who sees it loves it and so do I.
Attached Thumbnails 2c-alices-garden-back.jpg  

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 01-28-2014 at 06:23 AM.