View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 10:09 AM
Anoka Quilter

The home supply stores are my friend in this area; Menard, Lowes, Home Depot.

I have way too much fabric to put into plastic bags and hang so I use plastic tubs. Right now I have 11 tubs; one for Christmas, Halloween, all other holidays/black neons/batikes, red/orange/purple/pink; blacks/whites, fall/browns, blue/green/grey, large prints/just no catagory, two with just kits in them, and one with anything over 5 yards of the same fabric. I use smaller tubs for baby, FQ, HYC, and other specialty fabrics that just do not fit into the above category.

So I know what I have in each tub I cut a 5" square from that fabric. (This is only for yardage a yard or above) With masking tape on the back of the fabric I write the tub name, yardage, etc. I punch a small hole in the left corner of each square and hang it from a round ring, or d-ring. When I need fabric for a project I just pull out the ring, or rings in my case, and look through my stash. (It is kinda like looking through paint swatches.) At just a glance I know if I have enough fabric for the project and exacatly where to find it. If I use that fabric and still have a stash of it I change the yargade on the back of the swatch so I know what I have in stock.