Old 01-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Country1

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
I live in Owensboro, KY where we were wiped out by that ice storm. I think every power utility pole in a 20 mile radius was knocked down. Power was out for most of us for 10 days and for some rural customers almost a month. Nearby rural counties were in really bad shape. Power companies came from all over the south, stayed in local motels and worked around the clock to get the power lines back up again. Local churches took turns cooking meals to feed those guys that volunteered to come here and work. Our home is all electric, so we went to my Mom's to stay because she had gas heat and stove. It was AWFUL! Lost all my house plants and the food in the fridge and freezer. When they predicted another severe ice storm here several months ago, we went right out and bought a generator. I won't be caught unprepared again!
My DD and her family lived between Owensboro and Henderson. (Closer to Henderson) I went and got our DGD who was a toddler and kept her until their power came back on. She kept saying "Our mote broke. Come get me today?" her only worry was the TV remote. LOL