View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 12:00 PM
teddysmom

Default Hand quilters - what is best for you?

I'm a fairly new hand quilter and am always looking for better ways to quilt. I took my first quilting class at our Guild last month. When I took my quilt top to class, the instructor and the other students helped me sandwich. It's a queen so it's LARGE. Linda didn't even hesitate to have all of us begin basting. I had pinned the few quilts that I've completed but was glad to follow her instructions. I told her I had a hard time quilting on a floor frame (PVC type from Joann's) and she suggested I try a large quilting hoop. So I ordered one on a floor stand from Amazon. It turns and tilts but was I feeling very awkward with it. Today, I am quilting 12" squares that have a design drawn in the middle. The design has a lot of turns and twists and I was getting all tangled up in the frame and the quilt. So, I took it off the hoop and started quilting it in my lap. Guess what? My stitches are more even and smaller. I'm considering quilting the rest in my lap since everything is basted no more than 3" apart. Any thoughts from you hand quilters before I continue?