View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 03:13 PM
Quilter 65

Default My Own Challenge Quilt--a la Jinny Beyer

So, I found this BOM quilt on the Jinny Beyer website. I started collecting the block instructions each month thinking that I would wait until the first of the year and after the Christmas rush would just whip this one out. I wanted to use the Stack'n Whack idea and translate it to the compass points and/or the background. Wellllll, that has proven to be a challenge. I just should have bought the fabric and followed the colorway. I have decided that I am dense or something, but this has proven to be my most trying adventure. I have stumbled, mumbled, ripped, re-sewn, re-ripped, rested, pondered, and a few other things along the way. I have pp'd, traditional pieced, hand sewn, machine stitched, appliqued, anything to tame the tiger. Thought I would share as I don't want to start the next block and am looking for any excuse. This may be the last one of these I attempt. So, tada, here is the WIP: This first one is my second attempt to use stack'n whack. Thought it was too overwhelming, but doesn't look bad in the whole scheme.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]459681[/ATTACH]The next one is the first compass block and it didn't seem too bad.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]459682[/ATTACH]
The next one is the first attempt to use the stack'n whack for the background. Center is appliqued.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]459684[/ATTACH]
The next one used handsewing around the center. Tricky little fellows and I used the stack'n whack for the main points. The top of the one pattern of the alternating blocks is shown.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]459687[/ATTACH]
The 76 piecer block. Can see why this wasn't the first one and that the next one was months away. Whew, did I have a bulge in the center of this one to iron out.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]459690[/ATTACH]
Fussy cut two different fabrics for this one. More hand sewing. I am the sew with a machine type so I can get on to the next one. I am learning patience.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]459691[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]459693[/ATTACH]How they look with the alternating blocks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]459694[/ATTACH]
And the one I finished today making me consider whether I am dense/sane or not, but think I like the way it finally came out, just reluctant to start the next:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]459700[/ATTACH]

Snowing here today again. Stay warm and keep on quilting!
Attached Thumbnails 100_3790-small-.jpg   100_3791-small-.jpg   100_3792-small-.jpg   100_3793-small-.jpg   100_3794-small-.jpg  

100_3795-small-.jpg   100_3798-small-.jpg   100_3799-small-.jpg   100_3799-small-.jpg