Old 01-31-2014, 03:37 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Jan like your suggestion for QNS! I think the turquoise and red group you need a little more variation in scale in the blue colors especially the two on the right which look almost alike. The repetitive flower shape in the red and the blue on the left are spot on.
Carrie--great block! I can envision it among the others without a group shot!! Take care with that elbow/arm.
Ham and potato soup recipe, she asks. I'm a serendipitous cook--what ever's on hand is how I cook. So last night took some ham hocks out of the freezer and started boiling them in a 4qt kettle. Took some of the meat off for DH and my supper salad. Let the meat/broth simmer over night. This morning I took the hocks out and deboned them and set the meat aside. Then I threw in some celery stalks (leaves and all), potatoes, onion and then it dawned on me I had a qt bag of frozen kale in the freezer too. It broke up so easily as I crumbled it into the broth. Later I put in some milk. I made a flour/milk paste to help thicken it, added a little nutmeg. Shortly before serving I add the cut up meat and then serve. It will stay on the stove most of the day simmering. Later I'll put it in 2 quart jars and refrigerate and DH and I will eat it during the week. Sometimes I will freeze the soup for a quick meal at another time, but soup with potatoes don't freeze well. I could have added frozen mashed potatoes if I would've thought of it. I did that to some chili earlier in the winter which adds some "umph" to the chili when you use extra broth or tomatoes in the basic chili. Then top the bowl with shredded cheddar.
Avery (4 yo) wanted to bake this morning so she helped get a loaf of bread ready for the bread machine; then we made chocolate chip cookies. DH loves it when she gets in a baking mood!
I've been Suzie Homemaker enough today to last me for a week or so as I also made some bread pudding. And cooked a chicken in the oven before the cookies. Will now have chicken to make several meals. Oh it's so much easier cooking for 2!

Last edited by oksewglad; 01-31-2014 at 03:41 PM.