Old 02-01-2014, 06:48 PM
GEMRM

Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
GEMRM, I usually do my applique by hand but I have tried machine applique and may do more of it because of the speed. Try a short and narrow blind hem stitch, keeping most of the stitches on the background piece. I've heard both: match your thread to the background, match your thread to the applique piece. Just make a few test pieces and see which you like the best. Years ago I used the clear (plastic) thread. I hated it. If I try it again I'm going to use a regular thread. Have you tried to google youtube or Missouri Star Quilts for a demo? Good luck.
Thank you so much for a reply, I thought for a minute I had mis-spoke, no one responded!

I got antsy to start, so I "bit the bullet" and hand appliqued two blocks, I enjoyed it so much, I did another two!

I am still considering the machine applique, as this quilt will be a mish mash of various techniques.
I did recall though how much I like hand work. I use silk thread and a modified freezer template idea.
I ironed the freezer paper shape (without seam allowance) onto wrong side of fabric, cut out, with seam allowance and used my tweezers to hold the edges in place as I ironed the seam allowances to wrong side. After pressing the daylights out of it, I pulled the freezer paper out, and pinned into place on the background fabric. This meant I didn't have to cut the backside away to get the freezer paper out.