Old 02-02-2014, 08:12 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

It really depends on your home and potential options. Also, whether you are cooking for two or more. Consider how you can accumulate most of what you will need in one area ... rather than the frig in the house, cooking in the garage, washing in the laundry. Yes, you might not be able to have it all together, but the closer, the easier it will be for you to make it thru with some sanity!

As already suggested, keep it simple ... don't stress that it's not the perfect kitchen environment and go into it with a good sense of humour! And of course, eating out with friends, family or at restaurants/fast-foods will be in the mix.

When I moved to this home, I was without a stove and oven for 6 weeks due to a minor reno ... crockpot, microwave, tea kettle and Hamilton Beach grill came to the rescue and provided some pretty impressive meals!

I would now start a kitchen-reno cookbook with recipes and ideas that will work. As you make your meals, think about how you would do the same, simplified or if it will be off the menu for the duration.

Glad to see that you are in the real world as to the timing!
As for the excess stuff ... start getting rid of it NOW!!!!!!

When I built my new kitchen in my old home (miss it dearly!!) ... I was lucky, that we moved rooms, so I had a workable kitchen throughout. I did get rid of a lot of excess stuff to the benefit of the thrift stores, food bank and local soup kitchen. Likewise when I moved here ... they were thrilled and certainly helped me with the downsizing.