Old 02-02-2014, 06:15 PM
DotCanada

Default slowly making progress in this new-found hobby

A quilting newbie here: I have FINALLY finished my first "real" pieced quilt -whew!
My first projects were crib-size rag quilts; I figured those where a good starting point to learn some basic cutting, piecing & binding. (excuse the wrinkles on first two of these quilts - I realized tonight that I had not taken pics of them before, so pulled them out of the cupboard and they were a little wrinkled from being folded).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]460273[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]460274[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]460277[/ATTACH]

After the rag quilts, I went to the fabric store and saw fabric which was a map of Africa, another which was lions, a black/grey animal stripe, and a print of snapshots of zebras, lions, tigers, giraffes; instantly I thought of my friends who had just returned from an African safari...bought those fabrics right up!! I wanted to advance my skills a little, so began looking for a beginner pattern that had large blocks to showcase the African map fabric. So I made a quilt with 15" blocks, sashing, cornerstones, and then did a little bit of piecing on the back. Took me a loooong time to finish because with each new step I had to get over being intimidated by the process. All done now, and I feel good

[ATTACH=CONFIG]460278[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]460279[/ATTACH]

I have stitched together two jelly roll race quilt tops - need to try my hand at adding borders to them and I just purchased plaid flannels in girly colours and denium for a rail fence quilt which I will try next.
(Sorry for the extremely long post!)
Attached Thumbnails 100_2246.jpg   100_2247.jpg   100_2162.jpg   100_2248.jpg   100_2249.jpg