View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 08:23 AM
NanaInVirginia

Default Replacement ballasts for Ottlite

I had an Ottlite floor lamp that wasn't working and upon searching for replacement parts I learned that they are NOT easy to come by. I called Ottlite directly but they did not have the ballast in stock. They did offer me a super deal on a replacement light, but I opted to continue my search for a ballast instead.

I finally found an old thread on a DIY site where a man listed the ballast he used to repair his Ott desk lamp. I ordered my ballast and it shipped the very next day. I paid $10 for the ballast and $7 shipping. Overall I am extremely pleased with the vendor so I thought I would share the info here. I had to do a little McGyvering to make the replacement ballast fit into the limited space in my lamp head but with my husband's wire strippers, wire nuts and a little bit of "I will make this fit attitude" I am happy to say that my lite is now functioning again!

The vendor's site is prolighting.com. The light I was repairing was an 18 watt version so this is the ballast I used. SC-120-118-CTW. It was a very tight fit but by breaking off the plastic mounting ears I was able to fit this in the lamp head. I didn't want the ballast to be mounted externally and I am not sure that the ballast for the 24 watt lamps will fit inside the lamp cover. This is the 24 watt ballast. NPY-120-126-CFL