View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 06:17 AM
sewnsewsue

I make my own guides using Scotch reposition able strips and an old credit card. I cut a Scotch strip in half lengthwise. I then cut a credit card to the same width. Use your rotary cutter with an old blade to make sure your cuts are straight. Take off the plastic covering one side of the Scotch strip and line up the credit card edge on it.I use my 1 X 6 ruler and place under the presser foot. I bring the needle down so it is just to the right of the 1/4 inch line. That is MY scant seam allowance with 60 wt thread. Then remove the second piece of plastic on the Scotch strip and align it to your machine.Make sure you butt it up against the ruler for a nice straight edge.This is best with a machine with bobbin case under machine like the old Singer and Vikings with vertical bobbins BUT I have found that by cutting it the size/length bobbin case cover I can use it on one of my Janomes where bobbin case cover is just in front of presser foot. The edge is shorter but you can leave it in place when you change your bobbin.These strips can be bought in Joann's,6 to a pack, cut in half for 12 1/2" strips about 3" long. I have been doing this for about a year and am amazed at how accurate my seams are. I do lots of tiny blocks. I buy a pack of strips and make a bunch of strips at a time. You can use them over and reposition them but they will not stick well after many repositions. You just get out your ruler and a new strip and you are in business. Try it!

P