Old 02-05-2014, 03:04 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Default Need a "class" machine that actually works!

I have 2 lightweight Singers--one my Mom's Inspiration that was pretty cheap and the feed dogs just chew the fabric, the stitch is so loose I can pull the thread out with my fingers cause the bobbin sits so "rough" and it sounds like it's going to "clatter" into parts any minute. So, I bought a more expensive, lightweight Singer last summer from Tues Morning--a H74, that is no longer made but was new and seemed like a good deal --has needle up/down, lock stitch, several different stitches, etc. But it has issues too! It also chews the fabric when you use the 1/4" foot (okay with the general foot and a 5/8" seam), and again, the stitch is not tight and neat--it practically falls out of the fabric unless the tension is tightened down almost all the way. I've taken the Inspiration apart and cleaned/oiled and got it running again when it totally shot craps. I haven't pulled the H74 apart but plan to tonight. My daughter has the same machine and doesn't have the same issues--so I'll probably take this one to repairman??? Guess what I'd like input on is whether it's even worth the effort to get these repaired or if these newer,lightweight machines are just trash. And if so, other than a Featherweight, what others are using for their "travel" machine? I go to classes about 10 times a year and a couple of retreats and would like to be able to get my machine in and out of the car without problems. Thanks