Thread: It's a washout"
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 05:31 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
Honestly, I have yet to find ANY fabrics that will hold a photo unless I print them on my Grandmothers Epson printer. If I print it on my HP, NOTHING but black stays. This is because Epson inks are pigment ink ( permanent ) and HP inks are dye based ( water soluble ) . HP does make Vivera Pigment Ink. Make sure to check your ink to be sure it says PIGMENT and not DYE. A quick tell is if your printer uses 1 black cartridge and 1 tri-color cartridge your printer does not support pigment cartridges. Only those machines that use multiple color cartridges have the ability to use the pigment based cartridges ( and yep they cost more too ). This is why Hubs said the next time we go looking to get a printer, I am to get one that will support Pigment inks !
Thank you so much for this information! Had no idea. And we just got a new HP printer, so none in our future any time soon. I wonder if some place like Office Depot or Office Max have the pigment printers and could print off. Would get spend if there were a lot though.