View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 01:16 PM
kthibault

Default Need help with colours

I am fairly new to quilting and am attempting to make a scrappy looking quilt on the diagonal using a jelly roll and charm pack of the same fabric (Moda - Collection for a Cause: Legacy). I have all my strips figured out (Pic 1) and picked a bright blue as the border (and thus the setting pieces) - Pic 2

I am not working from a pattern, but working off this general idea: http://www.thecalicocottagequiltshop...4#.UvP4vP20WZY
Which is why I made the mistake of putting those blue square pieces at the end of all the strips - they should be triangles!

So keep in mind that I am already resigned to taking those blue squares off, which has me re-thinking the whole bright blue border decision. I really like the color combo before I added the blue, which I now feel is just overwhelming, especially when I add more for a border. Pic 3 shows my brown and red backing and red binding.

There are also a few pieces in the quilt that I feel pop out too much (solid blue and red pieces) which I may take out.

Any insight would be much appreciated! I think I will switch to a more neutral (cream?) border and setting, although that has me concerned some of the pieces will blend into it too much.
Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg