View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 03:12 PM
jemsister

Question Expensive sheets at the thrift store?

I live around the corner from a thrift store, and I went in there looking for sheets and pillowcases. I'm new to sewing, so I don't want to spend a bunch of money on new fabric without first having a feel for my machine and whatnot. Anyway, they were asking $8 to $10 per sheet set. This seemed really expensive to me for a thrift store! Especially since most of the sheets were pretty well worn, and definitely outdated. They had a few separate pillowcases for 79 cents each, and I bought a couple of those (most were kinda ugly patterns), but there were very few of them because if the pillowcase went with a set, you had to buy the whole set. It just seemed way overpriced to me. Is this because people are repurposing them? You know, like they're trying to capitalize on other peoples' habits? They did have a fabric remnants section, but there wasn't much to choose from. I did find a bit of brown calico for cheap, so that was nice. I came away moderately successful in the end, but I was just so surprised at the prices of the bed linens.

One thing I will say, though, is that they had a whole bunch of bias tape and piping for only 39 cents a pack. And they had one random spool of thread for 10 cents, so I grabbed that. I only bought a few packs of bias tape, some rick-rack, and a package of elastic. I was so tempted to buy the whole bin, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. So I made myself put back things that I didn't have a clear purpose for.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that everything seemed like a great buy except for the sheets. =P