Old 02-07-2014, 06:32 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
My goodness, you are so lucky to attend 10 classes a year. I get to take about three, but I love taking my Janome 3160 to class. Is 11 lbs. and has the thread cutter feature, which is great of piecing,....that is all I do in these classes is piecing, so it moves along quickly with the cutter feature. It has a lot of other features as well, check that one out.
If you don't want the cutter, then opt for the Janome Jem. Janomes have a metal frame so it will stand up to a lot of use. Check dealers for a used 3160 is the price of a new one is too high.
I am lucky! Our Guild offers a number of classes--some one day and one a series of 6 "challenge" blocks--and rarely is there a cost beyond the membership. We have fabulous retreats also--so I feel very lucky. And my LQS will have some classes that are also very reasonable in price. Even more reason to get a sturdy travel machine. I think you've hit on the key thing--the frame being metal as opposed to a plastic shell that holds the gears. Of course that means more weight.