Old 02-07-2014, 11:03 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

QNS--If we want we can pay estimated taxes every three months and then have until April 15th to file the taxes same as general public. Because we choose not to, we are required to file by Feb 28th and pay all taxes due which includes both halves of Social Security and Medicare as we are "self employed". Farm income fluctuates drastically from year to year due to the vagaries of weather and market prices. Remember we sell wholesale and buy retail--the scourge of all farmers. It's just as easy to get it done early as we have to have records done to send 1099's to anyone we hire or pay rent to and W-2's also have to be sent out by Jan 31st. Now you know why you don't set up your appt until March!
It is a common practice for a yearly review at the bank which is usually done after taxes. Next step for me is to figure internal costs of production (milk and corn as they are our major "crops"). I also do a projected cash flow for the year and net worth statement with financial ratios. This information all goes along with us to our yearly "confessional" in the next 3-4 weeks. So Bob C is still on the payroll. Just have a little break before I get back at these computations. By the time I'm done with all this I am happy to just do the bi-monthly work for the rest of the year.