Old 02-08-2014, 07:46 AM
MacThayer

Don't give up on looking just because you seem to want something now. Be careful of the low cost Brother's at Walmart. I too bought a cheap machine there, thought I had a great deal, but it ended up costing more in repairs than I paid for the machine, and then it died completely at 8 months of age. I'm not saying you couldn't get a nice one, but make sure you know what the warranty covers and be careful to keep your receipt. At the first hint of trouble, take it back. I waited too long and just lost out on a return. Then I found a Janome MC 9700 on Craig's List for $800, complete with cabinet and sewing accessories. It was 3 years old and had been used once (literally!). It's my "Dream Machine" and a real work horse and the only "repairs" it has had in the past 2 years is a cleaning. You can still get this model brand new but it's around $2400 last I saw. Check out Craig's list, or even check out the local charity stores. I just saw a Bernina at a Salvation Army Store for $50 and those ARE worth fixing, trust me. It was only 6 years old and came from an estate. Sometimes they'll get a good machine donated because it was part of an estate and no one else in the family sews. I guess my advice boils down to check around before restricting your list to just products found at Walmart. Good Luck!