View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 09:15 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
I read a book recently that was talking about machine needles and it said Singer machines can't use Schmetz needles. I thought that was curious because while I mostly use Organ, I know I have used Schmetz in my SInger w/not trouble. Anyone else heard that before?

Jp
Jp, That's the funniest piece of fiction I've heard in a long time. ALL my Singers can and do use Schmetz needles. From the early 1900 ones to the only 90s vintage one I have. The Schmetz needles work great. Where the writers of that book came up with that idea, I don't know.

Needle wear:
I have a work hood with magnifying lenses that will go up to 18 power. If you look at a new needle, then compare the same needle after several hours of use, you will see just how much wear punching through fabric causes to the tip.

My wife has been sewing so long she can touch the tip with her finger and tell me weather or not it's worn out or damaged. I used to look each needle over with the magnifying hood to see if she was right or not. She's so good I don't bother checking the needles any more.

Joe