Old 02-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Rodney

Originally Posted by TheMamaHauser View Post
Strip sets are strips of various thickness and generally lengths which are WOF that you sew together long-wise. Then you press them open, pray each and every seam is straight, and cut slices that are perpendicular (a right angle) to the seams. That way you end up with a ton of little tiny squares without having to CUT and SEW little tiny squares.

Strip quilting is a technique that is easy to do but difficult to do well (can I get an "I concur" from anyone out there?) and is used for bargello quilts and other applications which require a million and elevnty small squares in a specific pattern.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461129[/ATTACH]

This was all done with strip sets - approximately 15 of two different layouts which are then sliced, spliced, and sewn back together.
I concur! I'm sewing some strip sets today for Elisabrat's Medallion quilt build-along. One of the first border choices was Elisabrat's checkerboard pattern and I'm working on that right now. So far I think it's pretty safe to say no two sets of blocks cut from my strips are the same. Maybe I should try to convince everyone I did it that way on purpose. I was thinking a wonky looking checkerboard would be fun but decided against it because I didn't think I could do it right. Turns out I'm getting one anyway.

Fantastic looking quilt Kelly! Did you do the quilting too? There is a lot to be proud of in that quilt.
Rodney