Old 02-09-2014, 05:55 PM
RugosaB

Default Help needed with design using vintage pillowcases

This is probably going to end up a long post, if you stay with me, bless you:

My husband (to be) and I bought a house in 1980. It was a house built in 1918, the current owner had been there since 1921 and it looked like it had been remodeled 40 years before, so it needed help. The woman was confined to one room on the first floor, and went to a home (I’m so sorry if that is not the current word used nowadays, its what was said back then) The house was sold including all its contents, it looked like someone from 40 years earlier lived there, completely furnished.

It included a bunch of embroidered, with crocheted trim, pillowcases, which she had done. Most were new, if not all – do not remember which pile is which.

The piles:

My husband and I married in 1981. Luckily we had a formal photo with his Grandmother, as she died that fall. Of his brothers, 2 were still in high school, and one did not have a girlfriend. His dad was this woman’s only son, so we helped take care of Grandma’s stuff. No one had any interest in the quilts or pillowcases so I took them. I made sure each of the brothers got a quilt, though I doubt if they exist now. (I had already rescued a quilt that Grandma made, that my husband used to wrap up his tools in his van! NOT a quilt appreciative family)

So I had the pillowcases from the woman we bought the house from, Grandma’s, and I went to farm auctions and garage sales in the 80’s and added to my collection. I knew someday I would use them for something, if only just holding them to pass on.

I have debated with myself over the years, whether to just keep them as is, or use them to make ‘something.’ They’re not quite as pristine as I remembered, some were lightly used, some have yellowed where folded, and I’ve been wanted to make a square to put diagonally on my king bed. I’ve seen that look is quite acceptable now, and it does cut down on the size. I was dreading having to fmq a king size quilt on my domestic machine, this is the answer I was looking for!

These are the pillowcases I have, and I do have many yards of crocheted edging that could be used, from many doilies, scarves, etc.
So my question is, does anyone here want to throw out ideas of what to do with them? What I want is a 45’ to 60” square that I can lay on the top of a plain green bedspread.
Complicated is great, I’m up to the challenge.
The 3 walls are a darker shade of green, and our wallpaper on the wall behind the bed is black with lots of pastel colored old fashioned fantasy (definitely not real) flowers, and this is behind out brass headboard:

So here are the pillowcases (I have others that will not be cut up and do not ‘mesh’ with these)

The colors go with the room perfectly imo.
All the crocheted edging goes all the way round the edge of the pillowcases, so there's a lot there too
Attached Thumbnails gbish-quilt.jpg   image38.jpg   image39.jpg   image40.jpg   image41.jpg  

image42.jpg   image43.jpg   image44.jpg  

Last edited by RugosaB; 02-09-2014 at 05:57 PM. Reason: wanted to add