Old 02-10-2014, 05:02 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oxonchris View Post
Hi, bit nervous about using your techniques (not that i don't trust them it's more trust in my self) The central decals are flaking, the metal parts are coming up well although being in the UK I can't get the brands you talk about (unless someone can point me in the right direction) I would appreciate some pointers before showing this 1919 lady some care and attention

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461523[/ATTACH]
Glenn uses the 'naptha' to clean the machine of dirt and oil. Naptha is not a brand it is like lighter fluid. Then it is gone over with a a little rag on the finger dipped in a little 'denatured alcohol' then the same rag is dipped in a bit of 'boiled linseed oil' - any brand will work - keep the rag tight. Then it is gone over with some 'shellac' thinned with denatured alcohol. You might put a little shellac on the decals to keep them intact. The items are not bought by brand but by 'chemical' - the photos are just so you get some idea what to ask for at a hardware store. So when you go to the store ask for Naptha, denatured alcohol, boiled linseed oil and shellac. The rag needs to be clean and lint free. It is a bit scary at first - once you have done it you will find it is pretty simple.