View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 09:14 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I made one last year to fit our Queen size bed. I used 5 inch top squares and 4 inch muslin for the bases. I also made a double bed size one several years ago. They can be either machine or hand sewn. If I ever make another, I will use 5 inch bases. The one thing I will caution you about is use a good quality stuffing and do not try to make the puffs really fat. Really fat puffs are a pain to sew together. I made that mistake on the first one, I also used cheap stuffing and all the puffs started to flatten after just a few washings. One trick I have learned to tell generic stuffing from great stuffing is to pinch the bag, and try to slide your fingers back and forth. Great stuffing will feel smooth and slippery. Generic stuffing will not be slippery feeling. Generic stuffing will flatten and ruin the look of your puffs. The Queen size I made took 504 puffs. I used a large plastic bags to corral the puffs the first time, and two large totes the second time. I did learn a valuable lesson the second time though, never back a biscuit quilt with flannel. When it needs to be washed, I have to take it to a laundromat to use a "big boy" washer because when it is wet, my home machine will not survive the weight. Thought of that after the binding was done. Duh.
just wanted to add pictures.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg