View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 09:49 PM
ragamuffin

I am about an hour from Lancaster, Pa, the Pa. Amish town that sells lots of quilts. Probably some of your own neighbors are making them and sending them in. One major requirement is that they are hand quilted and must be 12 stitches to the inch or more. They sell in the $900-$2000 range. I did not see the Antique Roadshow that had appraised a quilt at $20,000 or more but 2 were on the show. I feel quality should deserve good prices. Some of the girls in my quilt club will sell theirs for around $300 but I will not. I am like you, I know what I have in it and I would rather keep them then sell them cheap. At a couple shows I attended lately, all I saw was table runners and I thought they were too high priced. Unless it is special, I usually use left overs for table runners and I price them cheaper.
Good luck in pricing yours. I would take a square sample to the show, and some pics of the ones you would not mind
making again in case someone wants to order one for a wedding or present such as a t-shirt quilt. Take the sizes along too, crib, lap, etc. Make up yourself some business cards if you do not have them and if someone is interested, give them out. Have a special place to put them on your table. You could even make up a sign on the computer, place it in one of those plastic frames that has its own stand, the ones where you just slide the paper into it. I used to do a lot of shows but I can no longer lift now so I quit. People know I quilt so when they see something they like, they get in touch. I have 2 orders now for fishing wall hangers, one for a shop to donate off and another for a gift. I hand quilt an area every night. I even add the fishing line if they want to add any hand tied fishing flies or lures from them. Go for it! Almost every quilt show I attend, someone comes up to me and asks if I know someone who would quilt their mom's or grandmom's quilt tops. I must have that "old fashioned" look about me. The one show I was selling tickets to and a man came in and asked if I knew anyone who would make some quilts for his daughters out of his shirts. My Amish friend has done 6 already and still has more to make, and she charged $650 a piece because he furnished the fabric. ThAt was a chunk of change from me just being there that day. She told me she had no orders for that fall and winter and that The Lord led me to volunteer to sell tickets that day. She has thanked me often.