View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Iokina

Greetings and Merry Christmas :)

I'm here hoping to get a bit of advice on a project I am working on for her mother.

Five years ago my mother's grandmother (my great-grandmother) was tragically killed outside of her home. She was very dear to the entire family - a 'matriarch' of sorts. This wonderful woman was known for her giving spirit, as she helped teach adults how to read and often made and donated quilts to the needy.

She left an unfinished quilt when she passed, and my mother claimed it and has kept it hidden away, wanting to finish it but never finding the time or skill to do so.

This christmas it is my hope to finish this final quilt for my mother. Here's the trick - I am an experianced seamstress, but have never sewn a quilt. It appears to be entirly pieced together (it is a very simple design) and has batting and a 'backing fabric' all pinned together. It is still in the center of her quilt stretcher, and she appears to have just started quilting. Here are my questions:

From the photos, is that her intent on quilting, or is it basting? the stitches seem very small but also very far apart. Is that how quilting stitches are?

Would you guess that I should continue tracing along the length of the pieces and then also the height? Should I do any other quilting? I wish she were here so I could ask her what she intended!

Any suggestions on binding?

Do you start in the center and move in any specific direction?

I'm so sorry for all the novice questions, but I'm sure you understand the importance of this project. Thank you all for your help, and I promise to keep you updated.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-59210.jpe   attachment-59211.jpe   attachment-59212.jpe