View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 01:13 AM
justflyingin

Default "Owl" play: a quilt top

I used the owl found at http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/Product...roductID=H9639

to make these blocks as I was feeling like something easy but impressive. These are easy because you just come back and change the bobbin or fabric when it is finished (if all goes well).

But I wanted whimsical, so I decided to lighten them up a bit (as the original is sold as blackwork) and coordinate with this very bold color oval polka dot fabric I had.

After I stitched the owls, I found coordinating frame fabrics from my stash and framed them. Then, I put them together yesterday. It's for a kid with a queen sized bed!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]462029[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]462030[/ATTACH]

And close up of the owls:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]462031[/ATTACH]

And inevitably someone might ask what pattern I used. I didn't. I laid it out in EQ 6 (one of my goals for this year--learn to use it!) and this is what it looked like:

The owls are cut at 12.5" before sewing and the inner colored frames for the owls are 2" strips (before sewing). The sashing is 3.5" wide (before sewing). The inner polka dot border was 5.5" and the green outer border was also 5.5" (cut) and the orange in between was cut 2.5". It ended up being close to 100" square! (I wanted impressive!)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]462032[/ATTACH]

Now I have to figure out how quilt it...am thinking of either cross hatching or an echo stitch around the owls.

And I didn't originally have the corner stones in the polka dot border but I was about 10" short of fabric, so in the end, I had to add the corner stones to be able to "make it" with the polka dotted border.
Attached Thumbnails owl-whimsy-sm.jpg   side-view-owl-whimsy.jpg   closeup-4-owls-owl-whimpsy-sm.jpg   owl-pattern-layout.jpg  

Last edited by justflyingin; 02-13-2014 at 01:19 AM.