View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 08:18 AM
willferg

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If the fabric is good, I would fix any seams that are not sturdy. If the fabric isn't good enough in some blocks, I would set them aside. The lesser quality blocks I would put together in dog blanket size and see if the humane society would like them for the cages.
I know some people like to show all the charity quilts but just say some were all ready donated. I know that doesn't fix the quality control but the dog will appreciate some new blankets too.
I agree with this 100%.

As someone who receives and processes blankets for charity, I understand the dilemma. We had a number of beautiful quilts come in with very small seams, so that after one washing the seams tore apart and were difficult/impossible to repair. I felt we should inform the quilter, but we didn't have a name.

A few months later, a quilt I made did the same thing. Yes, I was mortified, but I took the blanket back to try to figure things out. I have concluded it was poor fabric. And I am much more careful to prewash and use a good seam allowance – shooting for the perfect 1/4" but certainly not less, just to be on the safe side.

The animal shelter is always grateful for blankets, so some things do go there...