Thread: really?
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 08:57 AM
susie337

Hi Mrs Derf!

I'm in Omer, just about 30 miles to the north of you! My friends and I go to Bay City all the time! I too am a newbie at FMQ. I love it! However, I am still not so good at it either. If you want to practice on a real quilt, my recommendation would be to use printed fabrics or at least the same color thread as your quilt. Your stitches will blend right in and your friends will be amazed!

I saw an idea on this board to use a piece of felt in place of a quilt sandwich. So I bought a few yards at Walmart last week. It's really economical and you don't have to spend a lot of time making those sandwiches. I've been practicing daily and each day it looks to me as though there is some small improvement.

I've looked online for FMQ classes in our area, but I couldn't find anything. I'm going to have to ask at my quilt shop to see what they might know. A quick commercial for my friend Tina Bauer in Pinconning, MI. Her Bittersweet Quilt Shop is not to be missed. It's in a renovated old church right in town and it's full of wonderful things!

Susie