View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 02:33 PM
CanoePam

A subject I have definitely had experience with! I truly believe there is no ugly quilt, but there definitely are poorly sewn ones. What I think of as ugly will probably be great for someone else, but poorly sewn quilts are good for no one. I used to work with a church group that did baby things - receiving blankets, bibs, burp cloths, etc. Some of the women also participated in a quilting group that mostly donated items to the homeless shelter. The woman who ran it had absolutely no quality control. Seams were sometimes only a few threads wide, the tension on the machines at the church (where many were sewn) was horrific but she wouldn't let me adjust them ("oh no, my husband keeps these perfect"), and she used a stitch length of 3-3.5! I can deal with mis-matched corners and odd arrangements of color, but I knew these quilts were probably going to fall apart in the first days of use. They used to keep asking me to attend their group, but I just couldn't do it.

Oh, and a lovely story that goes along with this. There was an elderly woman living in assisted living who had been cutting 5" squares for these quilts for years and years, starting when she was living independently. As she got older, she couldn't see very well so she used a cardboard pattern and a sharpie marker. She would mark the fabric with the sharpie and then cut it out with scissors. I know she was the root cause of many of the mis-matched seams, but she was so glad to help and such a dear woman that the wonky squares didn't bother me at all.

Pam