Thread: really?
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 03:17 PM
ManiacQuilter2
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MrsDerf View Post
With practice I will be able to quilt my own work? I've spent six weeks and a lot of money practicing and still not even close to being ready to do the real thing. I have made so many sandwiches I've filled a dumpster. Is it possible that I just don't own that skill? At what point do I cry Uncle?
Are you talking about doing free motion quilting or straight stitching in the ditch? I will tell you what helped me. I took a class that was being taught by Harriet Hargrave. Google her name if you don't know who she is. What she taught me was that you have to find a slow but constant speed on your machine. Watch the movement of the fabric that the sewing machine is feeding by the feed dogs. You have to be able to find that speed every time you quilt. Then you know at what pace to move the fabric. Have you tried drawing lines and following them? If you are at the end of you patience, check any LQS and sign up for a beginning quilting class. With someone there watching you, they can probably help you with getting over the hurdles.