View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 01:19 PM
J Miller

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Yes Joe. That's the one I got SCE123.

Where do you find heat shield tubes? ... and how do you use them? You can see that there is a black web-like material on the negative side of the old wire but nothing on the positive side. That's probably why they put the adhesive tape on it.... the rubber probably burned off the wire. I'd like to be able to use this machine (I'm trying to rotate using my machines so they all stay working well) and don't want the wire to burn up.

You always come to my aide, Joe. Thanks so much.
Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
Joe, I hooked the wire to the silver posts. They didn't tighten down very well. What are the black screws on the block for?
Jean
I've just reused the heat shields from the old wires when they were there. If not I just didn't use them.
I've never had a controller get so hot it melted the wires. That wiring your machine had is the old junk with latex insulation and probably aluminum wire. It's very prone to decaying with melting and crumbling insulation as the result.

Modern wire does not melt as easy as the old stuff.

What I usually do is cut the old connector off, then remove the head shield if I can. Then I run between my fingers to soften it up a bit and make it flat enough to go over the new connectors. Then I slide it on the new wires and clamp them down.

I was wrong about the ring connectors, those are the original foot controller ends. Here's a pic of the controller for my 15-91. It's the same as your FW although it's a different color:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]462787[/ATTACH]
Just slip the forked connectors of the new wires under the silver screws and screw them down tight.
The black screws are not connectors, they hold the resistance block to the bottom of the controller.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails singer-fc-connections.jpg