Old 02-17-2014, 08:52 AM
justflyingin

Default Scrappy floral top with black sashing finished

Here it is in black. Just finished a few minutes ago.[ATTACH=CONFIG]462920[/ATTACH]

I posted the one with the white sashing here...http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t241167.html

As I mentioned before, I wanted something that didn't require much thinking or checking the pattern, as I am trying to watch the Olympics--as much as I can--and unlike some of you, I seem to be unable to follow a movie while sewing--neither gets done well, if I try--.

I had prepared and located some 3.5" strips for the last one and still had a lot leftover after I finished that one. Now, I have much fewer left--but probably enough for yet another one--but the scraps left aren't as pretty.

This time I used black as sashing--it is a kind of satiny fabric, but not too slippery.

The fabric store that sometimes/usually has black in stock doesn't have any now. Two weeks ago she (the worker--there is one employee and the owner, who isn't usually there--) told me to check back in two weeks. I called today and she said call again on Wed. and maybe they'll have it in stock on Monday.

Anyway, I looked around and found out I had been donated this black fabric--it's beautiful, a little shiny and I'm unsure what the content is, but it is really nice. I hadn't been sure how it would wash, so when it was donated (from a really nice clothing company), I washed it and it came through fine--I was afraid of spotting or wrinkling--.

It ended up not being slippery to work with and when I had to rip out some seams, it was fine and didn't seem to leave holes. I did put in a fresh, size 70 needle, so a bit smaller than the typical 90 I normally use.
Here is the 6.5" block:[ATTACH=CONFIG]462918[/ATTACH]
and here is the layout from EQ6. [ATTACH=CONFIG]462919[/ATTACH]

Exact dimensions for anyone interested are in the other thread. EQ 6 said it took 5 3/4 yards of the black if you calculate 40" of usable fabric.

It is 99" square.
Attached Thumbnails block-using-black-sashing.jpg   scrappy-floral-black-sashing.jpg   sm-black-sashing-floral-scrappy.jpg  

Last edited by justflyingin; 02-17-2014 at 09:03 AM.