Old 02-17-2014, 02:07 PM
ube quilting
Power Poster

Remember that a medium value can be light or dark depending on what you put next to it. If you put a medium value next to a dark color it will look light and if you put it next to a light color it can look dark. They are so versatile.

Have fun and don't worry to much about it. The best scrappy quilts I have ever seen have a wide range fabric. The more different fabrics, the merrier.

EDIT: Don't be shy with the large print either. When you cut them you get a wide variety of color and pattern in each piece but when brought back into a quilt they blend in just like any other fabric.

Have you looked at the scrappy archive here on QB? Do it several times and you will start to see what you like and don't like.

EDIT AGAIN: Lots of talk about having lights and darks in scrappies but they don't have to be. Most of my scrappy quilts are, I don't know what they are but I never plan L&D, I just cut and place and move aruond untill an overall balance is achieved. I never use lights and darks to make a quilt, it just happens as it comes together.
peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 02-17-2014 at 02:19 PM.