View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 05:21 PM
oldtnquiltinglady

Default Finally found a Featherweight

I don't remember how long it has been since I made a statement on this forum that I am in the market for a FW. No special year, nothing really special about it, just a FW in good shape.

Well, DH and I broke away from cold TN, drove down to Alabama looking for new roads to travel, new adventures to excite us--got as far down I-65 as Cullman and left the freeway looking for a particular antique store that I had read about on CL. We found several antique stores, and walked through a couple, when DH said "did you see that sewing machine back there"--we usually separate and go our separate ways (him searching for a chair to snooze in, and me looking for sewing machines) when he caught up with me after one stroll down memory lane for both of us. Well, he found the FW that I have been looking and looking for everywhere we went.

$275. Way more than I was willing to pay; but it was pretty so we started to bargain with the owner. She was adamant, so was I; but DH was determined that this was going to be the stop for the FW. So he said OK, and we loaded it into the back seat and off we started toward TN. He was too tired to drive in an hour or so, so we stopped overnight in Scottsboro, and shopped in Unclaimed Baggage this morning before heading back up to TN before the next big weather system.

When he went out to pick up supper I started messing with the FW, no thread, no scissors, just curiosity. I found two bobbins, so loaded them one for the upper thread and the other in the bobbin case. No sew, take it apart and re-thread completely; no sew. Runs quietly and smoothly, but breaking thread and going nuts after the third or fourth stitch. So I put it away reluctantly, after studying the manual (can you believe it was included), and I think the needle is either a wrong needle or blunt. I'll try to figure it out tomorrow. Olympics come first tonight.

I'll be back reading tomorrow morning, so if you folks have a comment or two, go ahead and try to get me through this little hurdle. I'll be checking early, goodnight for now.