Old 02-21-2014, 07:01 AM
Sewnoma

Default I need a new "little" machine...Janome Gem Gold Plus?

My niece and nephew were visiting for most of last week, and to my surprise and delight, both kids (ages 8 & 12) were absolutely ENTRANCED with all my "sewing stuff"! I taught them both how to sew and set up a second machine so they could both sew together. I had my own little mini sweat shop! And now I have more miniature pillows and little pouches than I know what to do with! Best quote is from my niece, talking about the sound of sewing machines going: "That is the BEST sound in the whole world!" Well heck yeah, I agree!

When they had to go home (waaah!), I sent my Brother CS6000i home with them, along with a giant sack full of fabric, batting, thread, scissors, bobbins, etc. Of course I had to feed that addiction!

So, now I am without a little machine - I kind of need one because my "big" machine is a Janome 6600 so I have no free arm now. I don't use that a LOT but I do use it. I liked the Brother machine very well and thought about just buying another one but I'm thinking I want a small Janome this time, so it can share bobbins with the big one.

I haven't had a chance to get to the dealer yet, but I was looking on Amazon to get ideas and I found a very interesting machine: a Janome Gem Gold Plus. It has a "light serger system"....anybody use this before or have any idea how that works?

Here's the link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Janome-Portabl...sewing+machine

I wouldn't really be quilting a quilt on this machine - I'd use it for some piecing but mostly for mending, making plushies, etc. Maybe clothing construction some day, though, which is why the serger function interests me.

Anybody have this machine? Opinions? I'm headed to the dealer this weekend anyway (my 6600 auto threader mysteriously stopped working while the kids were here...just a coincidence I'm sure! LOL) but they tend to only have the bigger machines on hand so I'm doubting they'll have one of these around for me to play with. It's a tiny, tiny shop.