View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 12:06 PM
mpspeedy2

I have a lot of shirts, mostly sweat or T shirts that I have decorated with machine embroidery. It works great for hiding the stains I seem to get on the front of me every time I eat something the least bit moist. I have picked up a lot of them at thrift stores. Since I am a very full figured woman I even shop in the men's department. Walmart also has sweat shirts and T shirts for great prices. If I mess up the embroidery I have been known to do it over on a piece of coordinating fabric and applique it over my mistakes. Probably every other Christmas or Birthday one or all of my grandchildren get a shirt or sweatshirt with something of their interests on it. I usually use some coordinating variegated thread to add a little border around the neck and possibly the sleeves at the wrist. I love using variegated thread. It gives a unique result and keeps me from having to keep rethreading the machine constantly. When the machine stops to have the thread changed I just raise and lower the presser foot and push the go button. The results are usually very attractive. Hooping is sometimes a challenge with clothing items. Since I am often working with large shirts etc. I tried something different. I hooped the stabilizer and just straight pinned the shirt to it. That way I got the design where I wanted it and didn't have to struggle to get the sweatshirt in the hoop. Often the hooping leaves a dent in the shirt fabric that is hard to get out. The other thing I have done is embroider the design I want on a piece of permanent stabilizer. When it is finished I trim it very close and applique it to the garment. If I get tired of it or it doesn't look right it is easy to remove and the garment is not destroyed. It sure beats picking out stitches that didn't work out.