View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Tiffany

[quote=mpspeedy]I don't know why everyone shys away from handquilting. ...[quote]
I think you might be surprised at how many of us hand quilt. It doesn't seem as popular as having it done by machine or long arm, but there are still lots of us out there who enjoy hand quilting while watching tv or visiting with friends. :-D

I have machine quilted a king sized quilt on my sewing machine. Was it a pain in the butt - YES! But I would much rather do it that way then send it out and spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars (which I don't have) to have it done by a long-armer. I simply cannot afford that. I prefer to hand quilt but gave in and started machine quilting because I can get more things done that way. Now I just save the hand quilting for my special quilts. I probably have enough quilts to hand quilt for the next few years. :oops: Machine quilting may sound a bit scary but if you start by using a walking foot and doing simple lines (stitch-in-ditch or gridwork) it is actually very easy and it is amazing how quickly it goes. If you are really uncertain, I would definitely recommend taking a class if you can. They can be invaluable and you meet the best people there.

Yes, the cost of quilting can be a bit overwhelming. I started quilting because I needed a wedding gift and didn't have a lot of money and thought a quilt would be cheap and fast. Ha Ha hahahahahahaha!!!!! Okay, 18 years later I know better and the cost can be a bit rediculous. Still, I love to quilt and can't imagine my life without it.